Easter Cake - Bunnies and Carrots

I haven't made a "fancy" cake in years!  My friend Mallory and I took 4 Wilton cake courses at Michael's a few years ago and loved it SO much!  I hadn't used my tools in forever and I forgot how many cool and interesting things I have in my cake supplies! #closetspace

A few weeks ago I decided it was time to make another cake.  The holidays always make a good excuse to bake and decorate a cake because there are SO many designs and ideas online.  Plus, if you're going to make such a large cake, you need lots of people to help you eat it!

I started with a spice cake.  I wanted something that tasted similar to carrot cake but I much prefer the Duncan Hines brand of spice cake.  Honestly, I like to use the boxed cake mix when I make "fancy cakes".  I'm sure I could make something tasty "from scratch," but these projects involve so much effort, a box cake just makes it slightly easier.

These are various pictures of the baking process.  I used two 10 inch diameter pans so I needed at least 2 full boxes of cake mix.
Left Top and Bottom: I used my special cake knife to cut one layer into two.  This knife is SO nice because you can set the height wherever you need it!
Middle Right: These are nifty cake pan sleeves.  One side is metallic fabric and the other side is strong absorbent cotton.  The idea is to saturate the sleeves with water and then pin them around each cake pan while the cake bakes.  It results in a much more flat surface cake when you use these sleeves!  I love them!

These are pictures from the frosting steps!  I made homemade vanilla butter cream and piped it in between each layer and around the whole cake.  
Top Left: I like to pipe the frosting all over the cake because it makes it easier to evenly spread the frosting.  It doesn't have to be pretty, just good surface coverage.
Bottom Left: One important tip is to use a cardboard circle the exact size of your cake or larger.  I used a 10 inch diameter circle and frosted it before I placed a layer on it.  This helps to give the cake some stability and almost "glues" it together.


Fondant can be difficult and finicky.  Fondant is hard to make from scratch and it's very pricey if you buy it in the stores.  I once made a homemade marshmallow fondant that tasted far better than store bought fondant but, the trade off was that it was more difficult to work with.  Fondant dries out very easily too so you have to use suran wrap every step of the way to keep the fondant fresh.
Top Left: This is the box of fondant I decided to use.  I usually wait till it goes on sale or use a 40% off coupon at Michael's.
Top Left: This is the cake before I trimmed up the fondant.
Bottom Left and Middle: The fondant blades of grass were VERY easy to make!  I needed lots of blades (50+).
Bottom Right: This was the beginning of my bunny's rear-end.  I was using a very helpful fondant pad which helps measure the diameter of a circle once rolled out.

At this point, I usually get exhausted.  Each step (baking, making frosting, cutting and assembling, and rolling fondant) really takes it out of me.  The BEST part is the decorating details.
Top Left: I started attaching each blade of grass to the outside edge of the cake.  This was easy with a fondant brush and clear water.  Some people like to mix vanilla extract into the water but I prefer to keep it simple.
Top Left: These were the bunny feet in process! I made them almost cartoon like (very thick feet) because I wanted them to be strong against a car ride and the heat of the lake.
Bottom: These are carrot pictures in process.  The carrots were surprisingly easy!  I just used a steak knife to make the grooves on the side of each carrot!

At this point, the cake was ready to go to the lake.  I wanted it to be as close to finished as possible so that all I had to do was assemble the final confectionery decorations at the lake.

And finally, the finished product!
Top Left: The bunny feet and details of the carrots!
Bottom Left: This is a close up of the bunny rear-end.  I wanted it to look like the bunny had stuck it's head in "dirt" and dug up these carrots.
Right: This is the finished product!  I'm so thrilled with how the cake turned out!  Jordan helped me each step of the way and was such a good sport about the mess.  Seriously...the kitchen was crazy!  And I love this cake stand!  This was a birthday gift from Jordan a few years back.

Happy baking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese it Up

July 4th with Family

Doodles and Drawings