Cinco de Taco

Hi friends!  I hope you all had an awesome kick off to May!  Last weekend, Jordan and I celebrated Cinco de Mayo with our friends, Rain and Sean, by taking a Taco and Margarita tour through Dallas!  We stopped by 4 different restaurants to sample tacos and margaritas all over downtown!  (Seriously, how did I not know about these tours!?!?!)  As it turns out, the company, Dallas by Chocolate, also offers tours centered around other themes: chocolate, wine, Bishop arts center, brunch/mimosas, pizza & jazz, etc.

The 4 of us met up with the tour bus at Desperado's (one of our favorite places)!

At Desperado's, everyone received a margarita on the rocks, with chips/salsa/queso, and a taco (beef or chicken).  I just love Desperado's tacos!  We've met the owner several times at a different location and they are always very accommodating and fast!

Our next stop was at El Come Taco.  Let's just say they have an interesting menu....
Pictured above are Texas Tacos, a pork, and a "cow head" taco.  I had never heard of cow head tacos before and had trouble wrapping my head around the idea (ha! see my joke there?).  Sean said it was delicious but the imagery the name conjures up is just too vivid.

This is a picture of the menu.  It's a bit difficult to read but some of the items include: cow head, tongue, veal brain, pork, beef, sirloin, brisket, chorizo, and chicken.  And.... I mustn't forget the grasshopper.
Rain and I were VERY brave and we both tried a grasshopper (just one, not a whole taco).  We both had adverse reactions to the crunchy texture but we did it!  Thank goodness Rain let me chase it with a little coke.  
Top Left: The menu.  It's a broad spectrum of "meats".
Top Right: The special was grasshopper tacos!
Bottom Right: A big bowl of crunchy, toasted, seasoned grasshoppers.
Bottom Left:  The owner was kind enough to take a picture with us despite our dramatic reactions to the grasshoppers! 

Grasshoppers down and back to the BUS!
Top Left: Our foursome leaving El Come Taco
Top Right/Bottom Left: Our tour guide on our fancy motor coach!
Bottom Right: Driving along the Trinity bridge!

Our 3rd stop was at Trompo Taco.  They are a very small operation with limited seating so our group was in and out in minutes.
Top Left: We all had the house special Trompo taco.  To be honest, I was just "meh" about it.  They vertically stack pork, roast it on a spike, and then shave it into taco meat (very Spanish).  It reminded me of our trip to Barcelona in 2013.  The meat made me nervous though...  It seemed too pink (it wasn't an under-cooked kind of pink, more like a hot pink artificial color.  Weird, huh?).  

And finally, our last taco stop was to the Velvet Taco. I was actually very impressed with this place! 
The Velvet taco had an excellent menu selection (sans cow head) and good sized portions.  The restaurant was packed but we still managed to find a table for the four of us.  I'm usually adverse to flower tortillas and often gravitate towards corn instead.  I love flower tortillas but they make me too full and hurt my stomach.  The Velvet corn tortillas however, tasted delicious!
Top Left: This is the four of us at the Truck Yard.  Sorry, my pics are out of order!  We stopped at Dude Sweet after all the taco places and snagged this pic together.  
Top Right: This was the grilled flank steak with portabello mushrooms from Velvet Taco.
Bottom Left: Jordan had the Buffalo chicken taco.
Bottom Right: Delicious marg!  They had the good salt too (fine grain)!

That's a wrap for today!  If you live in Texas or just want to explore with a fun group, I recommend the Dallas by Chocolate tours!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese it Up

July 4th with Family

Doodles and Drawings