Growing Green - Spring Flowers and Garden Update

We've had some beautiful weather in Texas lately!  I always get a little Spring fever this time of year along with the itch to plant fresh flowers.  I think it's a combination of several factors: Spring break, warm weather, time change (more daylight to work with), and Easter just around the corner!

This year is no exception.
We planted some fresh flowers in our front flower beds!  I always over think the color but in the end opt for something bright.  Above you can see my haphazard planting design.

With Jordan's help (thank goodness), it didn't take too long to get all of them in the ground.  We ended up planting 48 flowers total!
This is the finished flower bed!  The flowers are so small, they are probably barely noticeable but I like them and I know they are there.  

I also have a little garden update.  Earlier this month I posted pictures of our Growbox garden!  You can read about that HERE.  So far, these Growboxes are working GREAT!  Our plants have more than doubled in size!
Top Left: Our budding cucumber plant!  I actually planted a 2nd one but he was a little delayed in sprouting.
Bottom Left: Tomato plants!  Aren't they so big now?!
Right: One more tomato plant!
We rearranged our back patio a little so that both planters could sit level and get lots of sunlight.  I don't know if it will make a difference but hey, I'm putting in the effort.

Funny story... I planted everything while Jordan was away on a business trip so I think I might have rushed through the process.  At the time, I was working late so my daylight hours between work and bedtime were slim!  I got everything fully planted and I remember thinking my cilantro smelled strange.  It smelled more like mint than cilantro.  Oh well, into the dirt you go!

Fast forward to this last weekend (about 4 weeks later) when I went to cut some of the cilantro to make salsa.  I asked Jordan if it smelled off to him and he agreed.  I couldn't figure out what had gone wrong so I pulled up the plant tags and realized, I'd planted flat leaf parsley, NOT cilantro!  Doh!  No wonder it smelled weird!  I never use parsley in my cooking so I guess I'm about to start!


Left: This is a picture of my leafy "cilantro" which turned out to be flat leaf parsley.
Top Right: I try to keep track of the plants that I use each year because, well, with a yellow thumb if a plant lives under my care, I want to buy it again and again!  I punch holes in the plant tags and put it on this huge key ring. #rightbrained
Bottom Right: Zoomed in, you can see plain as day, I totally bought and planted "Flat Italian Parsley" instead of cilantro.  Oh well.

Lastly, I wanted to share an update on our grass sod!  
Does it look like it's greening up to you?  Is "greening" an adjective?
I hope it continues on this trend and survives!  It just needs to get established enough that it doesn't die in the Summer heat!

That's all for today!  Happy Spring fever everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese it Up

July 4th with Family

Doodles and Drawings