Flower Pot Party

As you all know, the Spring season is here!  In Texas, the weather has been confusing (per the usual MO).  We've had 70 degree days this past week but we've also had very high winds lately.  Hehe...the weather is like a dramatic teenage girl!

Despite the unpredictable weather, a friend of mine decided to host a "Pot Party" last weekend!  It's not what you think folks.  It's a flower pot party!

My friend invited close to 20 people, but because of the high winds and chilly day, most folks bailed.  It worked out okay though because those of us that showed up realized just how much work it takes to decorate a flower pot!  We also had more fun in a smaller group setting I think.

We started by sanding the entire surface of each pot with an SOS pad.  This smoothed everything out and helped us get the sticker residue off.  The next step was to tape the edge of each pot so we could put a coat of sealer inside.  The idea is that we needed to seal the inside of the pot to prevent water from seeping into the clay and thus destroying the paint design on the outside of the flower pot.  Then of course, we started on the primer coat of paint. Oh, and be sure to wear old clothes!

Top Left: The top of the pots are taped and my friend is spraying a Rust-oleum Leak Seal coat inside each pot.  Basically the black coat looked and felt like rubber.  It was pretty cool stuff but it doesn't come off you hands very well. 
Top Middle and Right: a better picture of the inside of the pot and the type of spray seal we used.  
Bottom Left Middle, and Right: Primer time!  The primer went on very well and dried fast!

We had a quick pause while we waited for everything to dry so we opened a small bottle of wine and had some snacks.  While we were waiting, we planned out our designs and color schemes.  My friend had purchased a pretty light yellow, a gray/green, and black paint.  All the colors were very pretty but my favorite was the green.  It definitely was green but in the pictures it turned out very dull.  I have a feeling that after a few weeks in the sun, any green-ness will fade and it will just look grey.  But that's okay.  I'm good with that.  We got most of our best design idea from Dixie Bell Gifts.  They had some great artwork that we all loved. 
Top Left: Layer 1 of black paint.  Don't worry, we did more than 1 coat.
Top Right: Layer 1 of green paint.  You can still see the primer through the paint but it got better with more paint.
Bottom Left: Paint samples and the general mess we were making.
Bottom Right: My friends yellow flower pot.  Again, the layers are a work in progress but the yellow looked great!

Here are just a few pictures I took with my friends, Emily and Stefanie!  You can see us taping, priming and detail painting in these pics!

By the time we got to paint the details on our flower pots it was getting late and I had so much to do that evening.  Yes, it was a very long process and quite time consuming.  I have no idea how 20 people could have painted 20 flower pots so I think it worked out for the best!

Here are just a few pictures of our work!  Whew, I was tired and we really made a mess in my friends poor house!  I had more paint on my hands than I care to admit.

Now that it is officially Spring, you can make you own flower pot!  Here are a couple of good How-To's if you're interested!

Happy Spring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese it Up

July 4th with Family

Doodles and Drawings