Gruesome

This last week has been an interesting and painful week.  It's so easy to take for granted the freedom and mobility that comes with a healthy body.  When a part of that biological machine is broken, well, things start to get a little disorderly.

Jordan has been an amazing husband and such a strong person for me to lean on (literally in some cases).  He's cooked dinners, done dishes, laundry, and all kinds of things.  He even has been a cheerful gopher when I need something that happens to be out of reach.  I've always felt very blessed to have Jordan by my side but that is even more abundantly clear to me now.  I hope I can show him the same love and acts of kindness in return someday (not that I would ever wish for him to sprain his ankle).

Monday and Tuesday were my first days working with my sprained ankle.  I quickly learned some valuable things:
  • Crutches take practice.  It's no wonder that Abby would run for her life when she saw me use the crutches.  The first day or so, I didn't really know how to use them very well and came close to falling.  Don't worry, no one else got hurt!
  • Being on crutches means that vanity ranks a little lower in the priority list.  Goodbye pretty purse, hello back pack.  It's not safe to crutch with something slung over your shoulder.  Pretty shoes also bumped down the priority list.  My left foot could only fit into a slipper and due to the hazzards of crutches, I thought it best to wear a flat shoe on the other.  That's just as well because it's not like I had beautiful toe polish even on my good foot!  
  • Don't underestimate the value of ice and compression.  Of course Jordan made sure that I regularly iced my foot, wrapped my foot, elevated, and rested but looking back, I think I could have iced it more in the first few days.  
  • I was also reminded of the amazing support system I have from my family, friends, and co-workers.  I have such giving and kind people in my life.
My ankle is NOT a pretty sight but like a train wreck, I can't help but look at it and take pictures.  Here are a few gems from early in the week.

Top Left: Abby with sympathy pains.  When she wasn't stepping on my ankle, she was quite adorable.
Top Right: Blob foot meets regular foot.
Bottom Left: Bruising and a blue color starting to set in.
Bottom Middle: Another angle of my gumby foot blowing up like a balloon.
Bottom Right: Side view.

By now, our house was starting to get a little disheveled but, as previously mentioned, certain things start to carry less importance when you can't walk very well.

Thursday, our friend, Jenn, came over to visit and make us dinner.  She cooked us a delicious king ranch recipe and even brought chips, salsa, and spinach dip as an appetizer!  Her timing was perfect because Jordan and I could enjoy the left overs with minimal effort to re-heat during the rest of the week and weekend.  Thank you Jenn!  We love you and will be needing your recipe please!

Top: Yummy king ranch chicken casserole and green beans made by Jenn!
Bottom Left and Right: Thursday bruises were setting in.


A friend at work lent me this boot/ice/compression thing and I had to share a picture of this with you.  It helped so much and I could tell a difference in my foot when using it.  The way this boot works is that you fill a cooler up with ice water and then plug it into the boot from the connector at the top.  When you raise up the cooler, the ice water fills the boot and tightens around your foot.  Brilliant, huh?  This boot is on loan but if we ever have another foot or ankle injury, we'll have to get one of these to own.

I think the worst my foot has looked so far was Friday night.  By the time I got home from work my foot looked completely bruised.  (You should look away now if you do not have a strong stomach.)  My foot from the shin down was starting to turn green mixed with the purple.  

I'm not exactly sure why my foot is bruised in a straight line, but I guess that's due to the anatomy of the foot.  Who knows?

Sunday, we had a nice lift in spirits and went to lunch with our friends, Nathan and Mallory.  They introduced us to this great new Mexican food restaurant called, Frankies.  Frankies seemed to have great portions at good prices and the food was really delicious.  I was actually pretty impressed with the service too.  We were well taken care of and will visit again soon, I'm sure!

This is a picture I snapped on the way out the door with a very full belly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese it Up

July 4th with Family

Doodles and Drawings