Christmas 2013

This Christmas was so wonderful!  We were blessed to have my whole family home in one place enjoying each others company, amazing food, and gifts! Jordan and I were so spoiled with all the exciting presents and delicious meals.  This year, my brothers, Andy and Scott traveled from Virginia to Texas with my niece, Kenley.  It was a long drive, but we got to spend a week with them and catch up on life.

My mom and I had fun having a little girl in the house.  We found all kinds of things to do and I think I took almost 500 pictures doing it!  

No holiday is complete without a little baking, specifically, apple pie!  Kenley, Mom, and I sliced up apples and rolled out dough to make several delightful pies.  All week long we had pie and more pie to enjoy for dessert!  I think the poor kitchen really took a beating, but the pies were worth it.

Top: Kenley and Mom slicing up some apples!  Don't stress folks, that's a plastic knife she has.
Bottom Left: Kenley slicing up her own pieces of apple for her own pie!  We also taste tested a few to make sure the apples were good.
Bottom Right: Spoon licking good.  This picture makes me laugh because Kenley was really enjoying the post pie clean up.


Together, we made a pie with a "K" on it for Kenley and we also made a mini pie with a Christmas tree on it.  In these pictures, Kenley is savoring her dessert, always eating the crust last.


My mom, aka "ZaZa" had the most perfect pie tins for Kenley and I to use.  Here, Kenley and I are getting the bottom crust ready in a Kenley sized pie pan before pouring in apples.


Kenley had her own special way to lick the bowl...
This lady is a heart breaker!  I can't help but share at least some of the 500 pictures I took.  
Top Left: finished pies cooling.
Bottom Left: That little tongue had a mind of it's own.
Right: Kenley wearing the apron ZaZa gave her!  That grin!

Christmas eve we had a wonderful little family service under the pavilion.  This is the second year we've had a family service at home so I suppose it will be a tradition now.  It all started last year when we'd planed to go to the local church service.  My mom asked Jordan, our goto Googler of the family, to look up what time the service started.  We all showered and got dressed and even arrived a good 15 minutes prior to the 6 o'clock Christmas eve service at our local Methodist church.  The activity in the parking lot was strangely nil though.  It turns out that Jordan definitely looked up a Christmas eve service, but he'd looked at the wrong state by accident!  The Christmas eve service had actually started a 5pm so we were all 45 minutes late!  At the time it was NOT a laughing matter, but we decide to make the best of it and have our own little service in my Uncle Tony's cantina.  We borrowed a church bulletin to guide us and took turns reading passages from the bible and sang Silent Night via the iPad.  Instead of small candles, we had Yankee candles, but it was very beautiful and personal.

I think Jordan's little mistake turned out to be such a blessing because this year was equally as beautiful and touching.  We still all got dressed up and gathered around the fire under the pavilion.  Family and friends read through a wonderful little service that my dad put together and we had a peaceful night.  Yes, I think that will be a great tradition to look forward to each year.
Left: Kenley with her Silent Night candle.
Top Right: Jordan and me by the tree.
Middle Right: Kenley looking on as Cindy played "Oh Holy Night"
Bottom Right: Kenley in her box watching TV.  This was one of her favorite toys and it was just an old box.  She had her own personal porthole!


Following our Christmas Eve service, our family broke out the instruments to play a few Christmas carols.  The first songs are always a little rough around the edges and the last songs begin to sound like our lips were bleeding, but there are always a few carols in the middle that sound pretty good!  This is a picture of Kenley helping Andy play the trombone.  She got a kick out of it.


Here is another goodie I had to share with you all.  Everyone is a little rusty on our instruments, but this picture says it all.  Andy's expression just says "seriously, 4 flats?" I was feeling the same way but we slugged through it.


This was the Christmas tree just before bed time.  It was beautiful and the presents were ridiculous!  I'm sure Santa was glad to have all those presents out of his way.

Top Left: Kenley opening her new keyboard from Grandpa and ZaZa!
Top Right: Jordand and his new drill set!
Middle Right: Kenley taking a shot at Scott with a Nerf shooter.
Bottom Right: Mom and Aunt Cindy Christmas day!
Bottom Middle: Mom's 18 pound roast that turned out perfectly.  
Bottom Left: Abby ready to pounce on Kenley's new present.  I seriously wanted to play with the Flutterbye, Flying Fairy!  Kenley named the fairy "Purple".

The next morning was awesome!  We got up around 7am which is pretty reasonable considering there was a 4 year old involved.  After some coffee and breakfast, we commenced the present opening.  This is a picture from the top of the stairs and the scene was mayhem.  Six adults, one four year old, two dogs, and mountains of presents produce a lot of debris.

We finally got the living room cleaned up and Abby was pooped.  By now this was day 3 for Abby to be around Sophie (my parent's dog) and all the action.  She was more than tired.


Of all the activities we did, Kenley's favorite seemed to be riding on the jitney.  She loved the extra bounce and couldn't stop giggling.  
Top Left: Again with that crazy tongue!
Top Right: Kenley and ZaZa with the potholder that Kenley made for her!
Bottom Left: Mom and ZaZa on the jitney!
Bottom Right: Kenley and me on the jitney!

Kenley helped mom and me clear a little brush and watch the boys do some wood choppin'.

I got a chance to do a little shooting with my brother's.  It turns out I'm not that great at it.
Top: The blue eyed brothers, Scott and Andy
Bottom Left: Me shooting a 9mm
Bottom Right: Scott preparing to shoot something substantially bigger than a 9 mm.

Andy, Me, and Scott riding on the jitney.

All in all, it was a wonderful family vacation!  Thank you to my mom and dad for letting us all almost destroy the lake house and for the wonderful gifts!  

I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas and peaceful time this season!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese it Up

July 4th with Family

Doodles and Drawings