Bacon Bacon Bacon

Hi Friends!  I have a fun post for you all today!  Our household has been a little obsessed with bacon lately. Bacon, caramel that is.  As crazy as that combination sounds to some people, it is actually a delightful treat!  If you're a fan of caramel and bacon, trust me, you can't go wrong.

I guess I should start at the beginning and give ya'll the back story.  You see, we have a lovely friend, Rain, who lives in our area and who is a baker by trade.  One evening we had some friends over for a game night and Rain told us all about her company, Dallas Caramel Company.  She has a killer recipe for caramel and decided to share it with the public to see how well it sold! Fast forward a year or so, and her little company had taken off!  It turns out the caramel is very popular and she had developed 12 fantastic flavors.  In particular, she told Jordan and I about her bacon caramel flavor.  The seed was planted and we had to order some to satisfy our craving!  After browsing her website we settled on two treats, bacon caramel and horned toads.

Randomly, while anxiously waiting for our shipment, I wandered into a nearby coffee shop with a girlfriend.  Mid-chittychat sentence, I stopped and recognized a familiar candy display.  After further inspection, I realized it was Rain's caramels!  My girlfriend and I bought a couple different flavors and impressed the shop keeper with our connections to the company.

Here are some pictures of the super-cute display of the caramels!:
Each piece is individually wrapped and this isn't some dainty size.  You really get a substantial sized treat!

You can find several of her top flavors in the store: Original, Sea Salt, Drunken Nut, Espresso, and Bacon!

A few days later, our caramels arrived!
I felt like I was opening a present!  The caramels come in very cute packaging and would make a great gift for a friend or couple, wedding favor, or even just a unique treat!  

Top Left and Bottom Right: The horned toads come in a sleeve inside a craft tube.  Jordan and I thought we could cut these in half, but they are so delicious that we found ourselves negotiating for another!  The horned toads are a swirl of nuts, caramel and chocolate.  Right up my alley.
Top Right and Bottom Left: This is the bacon caramel.  There are no artificial flavors in the DCC products folks!  You can literally see the pieces of bacon in the caramel when you cut into it.  YUM!

Later in the week, Jordan and I had the opportunity to hang out with Rain and her husband, Sean.  Rain needed a couple of scientific friends who were caramel enthusiasts.  Naturally, she turned to us!  That evening, we spent a couple hours tasting her 12 flavors of caramel and pairing each flavor with an Alaskan beer.  It was serious business folks, but we had so much fun and we got to get a behind-the-scenes look into the DCC!

Top Left: Oodles of caramel!  I had to resist the urge to dig my hands in the buckets of caramel!
Top Right: Packaging prep!  The caramels come in an adorable burlap bag. 
Bottom Left: This was the beginning of our tasting station.  By the end of the night, it was not nearly as organized!
Bottom Right: Bags ready to be sold!

Top Left: This was my tasting matrix.  Like I said, it was serious business to pair caramel and beer and the matrix was necessary!
Top Right: Caramel making in progress!  It's too bad the pan was too large for me to sneak it home.

If you're interest in seeing the caramel and beer pairing results, come back later to check out the DCC Blog and the DDC Facebook page!

The next day, Jordan and I helped Rain and company out at the "Taste of Dallas" at Fair Park!  Truly, it was such a fun experience!  We've never been to "Taste of Dallas" before and it was a great opportunity to meet people and sell some caramel!  The Sea Salt and Bacon flavors where SO popular too!  Go check them out today if you're in the Dallas area!  Their booth will be open all weekend (7/11-7/13) and I promise it will be worth it!

Here are some pictures of the awesome caramel display.  We had some big crowds and fun people come by on Friday night!

Jordan and I did some exploring around "Taste of Dallas" and saw so many awesome vendors and booths.  The event is both indoor and outdoor so you don't get too hot, which was nice.  Even so, we had some pleasant weather last night so it was enjoyable to walk around and taste the treats! 

There was a rockin' band playing Friday night called The Spazmatics.  I have no idea why I particularly liked them, but I found this band to be hilarious and they played great songs!  I'm not even sure what genre they fall under, but they reminded me a little bit of Big Bang characters.  
Top: All the trees were wrapped with thousands of white lights!  I LOVED the atmosphere just after the sun set!
Top Left: The Spazmatic Band hilariously capturing the crowd.
Top Right: The overall scene inside one of the buildings.
Bottom Left: All kinds of vendors show up to these events and we found one that had 16+ wedding cakes on display!  They were all so beautiful!
Bottom Right: The crowds sitting around the fountains enjoying the "tastes" of Dallas!

All in all, we had such an enjoyable Friday night and hope to go to "Taste of Dallas" again sometime!  If you have time this weekend, this would be a fantastic date night!  Hope you all are having a wonderful July!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese it Up

July 4th with Family

Doodles and Drawings